ot, spamassassin question

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Wed Jan 20 15:35:01 EST 2010

John and all,

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:12:07AM -0600, John G. Heim wrote:
> That flag turns out to be report_safe. But I think
> you must already have it set correctly or you wouldn't see the headers
> you've reproduced below.

Hmmm, report_safe was set to 0. I changed it to 1, and did a
invoke-rc.d spamassassin reload, with no difference. That would
suggest that changes in local.cf aren't being applied, except I know
that they are being applied. I know this, because I had to put
report_hostname linserver.romuald.net.eu.org
into local.cf to show the correct host name on which the scanning took
place. Before I added that line, the host name displayed in the
headers was localhost, so local.cf is being read, and applied it seems.

> One thought that occurs to me is that sa-learn has to have had a certain
> number of messages passed to it before it starts to apply bayesian
> filtering. IIRC, the number is 200. There's a quick way to get it to
> reach that number which is to turn on autolearning.

It has had a lot more than 200 messages pass through it, I'd say
something on the order of a couple thousand by now, ham and spam. Yes,
autolearning is enabled too, and the headers show that it is taking
place when the score is low enough.

> bayes_auto_learn 1
>
> As you probably know, a list of rules that were used to calculate the
> spam score is listed on the line that starts with X-Spam-Status. There
> should be a bayesian rule listed  there in the form, bayes_XX where XX is
> the bayesian probability that the message is spam. There should be
> something listed like bayes_00 to bayes_99 or somewhere in between.
> So for whatever reason, I think bayesian logic is not being applied. I
> doubled checked and I see that bayesian filtering is suppoesed to be on
> by default. All my spamassassin config files have it explicitly turned on
> and I'm not sure what happens if you use the defaults.
>
> use_bayes 1
> use_bayes_rules 1

Yeah, I'd agree that it looks like the bayesian rules aren't being
applied. After reading the above, I explicitly put
use_bayes 1
and
use_bayes_rules 1
into local.cf, did invoke-rc.d spamassassin reload, and sent another
test message, but still no joy.

> The only other thing I can think of is that if you are running
> spamassassin as a daemon, you need to restart it after changing the
> config.

Yup, did a reload as shown above. Besides that, we had a short power
outage during the night, and the server machine restarted
completely. That means that if a reload wasn't good enough to read the
config changes, I should have seen different header info this morning
after the full restart, and that's not the case.

Looks like I'm going to have lots of fun cracking this one, and once I
figure it out, I'll probably slap myself, and say "oh, what a moron I
am, that was so obvious." If you have any other ideas on what to check
for, please share, and thank you very much for your troubleshooting
help so far.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org