ot, spamassassin question

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 20 12:12:07 EST 2010

First about verbose headers... By that I just meant that if you looked at
the message headers and didn't see any info from spamassassin, you would
have to change a flag. That flag turns out to be report_safe. But I think
you must already have it set correctly or you wouldn't see the headers
you've reproduced below.

One thought that occurs to me is that sa-learn has to have had a certain
number of messages passed to it before it starts to apply bayesian
filtering. IIRC, the number is 200. There's a quick way to get it to reach
that number which is to turn on autolearning.

bayes_auto_learn 1

As you probably know, a list of rules that were used to calculate the spam
score is listed on the line that starts with X-Spam-Status. There should be
a bayesian rule listed  there in the form, bayes_XX where XX is the bayesian
probability that the message is spam. There should be something listed like
bayes_00 to bayes_99 or somewhere in between.
So for whatever reason, I think bayesian logic is not being applied. I
doubled checked and I see that bayesian filtering is suppoesed to be on by
default. All my spamassassin config files have it explicitly turned on and
I'm not sure what happens if you use the defaults.

use_bayes 1
use_bayes_rules 1

The only other thing I can think of is that if you are running spamassassin
as a daemon, you need to restart it after changing the config.