Speakup and PCI Express Serial Cards

William Hubbs w.d.hubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 17:45:34 EST 2010

Hi Greg, I am posting this again because I'm not sure if it made it to
the list the first time.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 08:30:54PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> For what it's worth, my guess is the irq, and i/o address are the
> problem. If you have a way to setup your card for irq 04, i/o 0x03F8,
> or any of the other standard irq and i/o ranges for ttyS1-ttyS3, I'd
> give a 99.999% guess that it should work. Hth.

Unfortunately, I'm sure this is his issue.  The problem is that we have
the ports and irq numbers hard coded into speakup, and we access the
hardware directly instead of using linux tty devices to do so.

This is one of the issues that still needs to be fixed before we can
submit speakup to become an official part of the kernel; we need to
convert over to use linux ttys.

If we were doing that, he would not have noticed a difference.

William