Where am I on the Screen?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Jan 14 22:43:28 EST 2010

	After reading the manual on the speakup web site, I
discovered that I had the cursor off. It works better with the
cursor on so highlight tracking wasn't needed but there is still
one last small, but annoying problem.

	The installer script for FreeBSD appears to send
everything twice. The word drive, for example, would be
something like ddrriivvee. One letter is probably invisible and
may be used to clear the original text from the previous screen.
It is hard to tell but listening to the output of the installer
is difficult at best. If i hit the Plus key and read the screen,
it is perfect so this is all related to the way the display
paints the screen.

	ckermit is what I am using to get in to the serial
console and it, unlike MSDOS-kermit, has no emulation so I am
presently using screen set to VT102 emulation, running kermit
from that shell. The arrow keys work perfectly and one can
re-read the screen fine after it is drawn, but it would be nice
to hear the screens come in without having to keep hitting the
Plus key.

	Any ideas as to how to clean up the input ?

	This has been a learning exercise.

	Many thanks.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer