Speakup and centOS

Georgina Joyce r2gl at o2.co.uk
Fri Jan 8 19:56:08 EST 2010

Hi

I can't remember the version boundaries (2.6.19 - 2.6.25?) but the
speakup version is 2 from the cvs repos.  I'm not sure where they were
located.

You will not get git version 3 working on those older kernel versions.

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 12:15 -0500, Trevor Astrope wrote:
> I've patched the rhel 3 and rhel 5 kernels before and it definitely isn't
> an easy job, because the rhel kernel is a hybrid kernel with backported
> features and bug fixes. It basically requires patching parts of the patch
> by hand.
>
> On rhel 5 the problem is compounded by the fact that speakup no longer
> supports kernels prior to 2.6.24, as the kobject implementation changed in
> 2.6.24. I did manage to get speakup to compile by trying to backport the
> new kobject implementation, similar to how it was done for the infiniband
> driver, but the speakup_dectlk driver is not able to detect the synth. I
> suspect the result would be the same with other drivers. I haven't tried
> software speech as I'm having trouble getting sound to work and I haven't
> had any time lately to work on it. Since my time is limited, I think I
> will install fc12 and then try my luck when rhel 6 is out, hopefully this
> spring.
>
> I would recommend that the speakup developers remove the patches for the
> kernels before 2.6.24, as speakup will not compile against these kernels
> with the older kobject implementation. Or perhaps there is an older
> version of speakup in git that uses the older kobject implementation?
>
> Hth,
>
> Trevor
>
> On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Tim Culhane wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does Speakup work with the centOS linux distribution.  I believe that centOS
> > is very similar to RedHat Enterprise Linux, so I'm interested in exploring
> > the possibility of using this distribution.
> >
> > I read in the archive to this list that  somebody patched  the centOS kernel
> > with  Speakup a while back, but it wasn't an easy job.
> >
> > Has anything changed since then?
> >
> > Any help appreciated,
> >
> > Tim
> >

> > -------------------------
> > Tim Culhane,
> > Critical Path Ireland,
> > 42-47 Lower Mount Street,
> > Dublin 2.
> > Direct line: 353-1-2415107
> > phone: 353-1-2415000
> >
> > Tim.culhane at criticalpath.net
> > http://www.criticalpath.net
> >
> > Critical Path
> > a global leader in digital communications
Gena

four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:

    * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
    * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
    * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
(freedom 2).
    * The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements
to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access
to the source code is a precondition for this.

Richard Matthew Stallman