Speakup and centOS

Trevor Astrope astrope at tabbweb.com
Thu Jan 7 12:15:27 EST 2010

I've patched the rhel 3 and rhel 5 kernels before and it definitely isn't
an easy job, because the rhel kernel is a hybrid kernel with backported
features and bug fixes. It basically requires patching parts of the patch
by hand.

On rhel 5 the problem is compounded by the fact that speakup no longer
supports kernels prior to 2.6.24, as the kobject implementation changed in
2.6.24. I did manage to get speakup to compile by trying to backport the
new kobject implementation, similar to how it was done for the infiniband
driver, but the speakup_dectlk driver is not able to detect the synth. I
suspect the result would be the same with other drivers. I haven't tried
software speech as I'm having trouble getting sound to work and I haven't
had any time lately to work on it. Since my time is limited, I think I
will install fc12 and then try my luck when rhel 6 is out, hopefully this
spring.

I would recommend that the speakup developers remove the patches for the
kernels before 2.6.24, as speakup will not compile against these kernels
with the older kobject implementation. Or perhaps there is an older
version of speakup in git that uses the older kobject implementation?

Hth,

Trevor