Speakup with Fedora or Redhat

Tim Culhane tim.culhane at criticalpath.net
Wed Jan 6 04:51:26 EST 2010

Hi,

I'm in the process of getting a new PC in work.  I'm going to be installing
a partitioned drive with linux on one of the partitions.

I work as a software engineer and many of the products I work with run on
Linux,  and the preferred  flavour is Redhat Enterprise Server.

AsI'm blind I want to use a flavour of linux which works with speakup on my
desk top.

I know that speakup works with Fedora  and that Fedora is based on Redhat.
There appears to be a modified speakup distribution of Fedora 9 available.

So,  I've the following questions:

1.  If I go with Redhat as opposed to Fedora, which version of Redhat should
I use.  Will speakup be compiled into this kernel or does it need to be done
manually.  If it needs to be done manually is documentation available for
this process?

2.  If there really isn't much difference between Fedora and Redhat, which
version of Fedora should I use?  Is there a modified speakup distribution
for Fedora 12?  If not,  can speakup be compiled into the Fedora 12 kernel?
Is there documentation?

3.  I will need to use a software based synthesizer.  I believe TTSync is
the one closest to Eloquence, which I use on windows.  Will TTSync work with
the latest versions of speakup on Fedora and Redhat?  Since it is software
based, I'm assuming that TTSync won't speak from boot up?  If not, can I use
an alternative during boot up and then switch to TTSync?

Many thanks for any assistance you can give,

Regards,

Tim

-------------------------
Tim Culhane,
Critical Path Ireland,
42-47 Lower Mount Street,
Dublin 2.
Direct line: 353-1-2415107
phone: 353-1-2415000

Tim.culhane at criticalpath.net
http://www.criticalpath.net

Critical Path
a global leader in digital communications