Speakup Defaults

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 18:43:30 EST 2010

Actually, I was wondering the answer to the same question, so I
followed Gena's advice.  Here's what I found for Ubuntu:

First, install speakup-tools:

    sudo apt-get install speakup-tools

Then, use speakup keys to get your speakup environment to how you like
it.  In my case, I just increase the speed to 7 or 8 with CapsLock+6.
Then, run the command:

    sudo speakupconf save

This should create a /etc/speakup directory with default settings.  In
my case I use speechd-up software TTS, so I checked the files in
/etc/speakup/soft.  The 'vol' file has 8, where I had the speed set.

Now, configure your system to load these settings on boot.  In my
case, I use speechd-up, so I added 'speakupconf load' to
/etc/init.d/speechd-up.  Using espeakup, I'm guessing you would edit
/etc/init.d/espeakup and add the same line.

Bill