Installing Slackware with Speakup and Espeak

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Sat Jan 2 14:30:48 EST 2010

Making a custom distro just to get Gnome doesn't seem to be necessary as
all the gnome packages for Slackware I have tried install with minimal
work.

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 02:13:49PM -0500, Austin Seraphin wrote:
> Hi everyone, glad you like the idea. I found a great little tutorial
> called Cooking up some Slack:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/Cooking_Up_Some_Slack_CUSS
> and it looks very doable, I feel comfortable with that, so will start
> looking around. I'll also check out the audio question, I agree, the
> installer probably doesn't for minimalist reasons. I would also love to
> see espeak integrated into the main Slackware distribution, especially
> given that the kernel already has the soft synth module, why not go the
> extra mile so to speak? On the other hand, I might also see a need for a
> custom distro, partially for the audio, but also because Slackware
> doesn't ship with Gnome any more. Why not trade KDE for Gnome,
> especially if one of the projects will let us use their work? Emacspeak
> even comes in /extra now, we could include that as well, why not? Either
> way, speakup and espeak would represent the core.
>
> I'll start looking around and let you all know what I find, you can do
> the same, and maybe we can get something together. I've always liked
> Slackware also, and consider it the most accessible distribution.
>
> --
> Austin Seraphin - http://sunbeem.net
> SunbEEm Solutions - Every Thing has a Solution. SunbEEm has two E's.

The most important design issue... is the fact that Linux is supposed to
be fun...
	-- Linus Torvalds at the First Dutch International Symposium on Linux