What does it take to fork the kernel?

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Thu Feb 18 07:24:31 EST 2010

Hi Bill,
I think it would be far easier to just build the .deb package for speakup
for each specific kernel and, by settings in the /etc/apt/sources.list,
make sure that the correct speakup is installed when the kernel is
upgraded.
If you use software speech, there is IMHO no advantage in building speakup
into the kernel.
As for the talking at boot, you can controll it by deciding when speech is
started, and the user can hit the numpad-enter once to shut it up.

Finally, I've been asked to make some changes in default speakup
settings (turn cursor tracking off.
I cannot see why anyone could want that as a default setting in console
mode.

For startup, on all my machines, I disable the gdm graphical login and
just sign on using speakup.  I then run startx to start gnome/orca when
needed.
I am not saying that this approach would work for your Vinux users, but it
works well for me.
HTH, Willem