Main advantages of SBL over Speakup

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 11 09:48:45 EST 2010

Dude, my computer is not old. I work for the University of Wisconsin
Department of Mathematics and we order 30 to 40 new desktops a year. Every
one of them has had a serial port. Every single one. True, we order
exclusively from Dell. So maybe Dell is a cut above wherever you get your
computers from. But I recently built my own PC from parts I ordered from
newegg and the mobo I bought has a serial port.

Since you're building your own PCs, you might try double checking the specs
on the motherboard. It may have a serial port header block but no external
connection. If so, then you just need an adapter to go from the header block
to the case. If you're building your own PCs, why don't you just order mobos
with external serial ports? Or at least make sure it has a serial port
header block and you can install the adapter just in the machines where you
need a serial port.