Main advantages of SBL over Speakup

Trevor Astrope astrope at tabbweb.com
Wed Feb 10 14:09:21 EST 2010

John, yes I do manage servers and I do agree that having speakup in the
kernel is immensely important if you have a serial port and synth.

Perhaps it is different where you are, but where I live, desktops with
serial ports are extremely rare. The only ones I managed to find were some
low end Acers. I also found some business machines with serial ports, but
they are twice the cost for about half the performance as a consumer
desktop machine and we don't buy them where I work.

Like Kelly mentioned earlier today, I also do not install speakup in the
kernels of the servers I manage, but in the machine I use to manage the
servers.

So, I respectfully disagree with you about the availability of serial
ports in modern desktop machines and I stand by my statement that speakup
as a kernel-level speech system will become less relevant over time unless
it can support external serial ports and usb serial ports. In my opinion,
this is where speakup development should be focused, as more and more
people will face this issue as they upgrade their machines. But I am not a
speakup developer, so I have no influence on the direction it takes. I can
only offer my opinion, which I have stated several times on this list and
I can only hope that speakup developers agree with it and take up the
challenge.

In the meantime, I do have a job to do and I will need to decide whether I
continue using speakup with software synth, which will make my job more
difficult or use something else like orca or a mac, which still won't
solve the problem of having access to early kernel messages, but may give
me more flexability going forward.