Main advantages of SBL over Speakup

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 14:23:25 EST 2010

I agree.  I do still wish for application specific keybindings in
speakup, and maybe even some scripting capability, but I think speakup
should remain the default console reader in Vinux for the forseable
future.  There's some chance we can get Ubuntu to start building
speakup, which would greatly simplify life.

One other thing I've heard mentioned about speakup.  I haven't looked
at the source code yet, but I hear that it doesn't follow kernel
programming conventions, for example in how it interfaces to the COM
ports.  Is this true, and if so, are there things we can do to get
speakup cleaned up enough to get included in the mainline kernel?

Bill