Main advantages of SBL over Speakup

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Feb 9 13:07:31 EST 2010

I think you have had a response which reflects my views fairly well.
Speakup is aimed at different people to SBL. The only thing I might add
is that packaging speakup doesn't really seem any more difficult than
the packaging of those optional drivers, eg. the nvidia GLX stuff, a
sighted person needs a driver for the video card so they can have useful
output, I need a way of making my apollo synth to give useful output
(speakup).

One big difference is that SBL has Braille support although I have to be
honest and say that when I tried SBL for that feature I wasn't
impressed, brltty seems to be much more reliable. I didn't really try
SBL for speech output as speakup really meets my needs for text console
access (in the speech department, brltty for the Braille).

There does seem to be a dedicated set of users of SBL, so your effort of
getting SBL on ubuntu is probably of value. Its good to have the choice,
I choose not to use it because I find features of greater value in other
software. Let's not duplicate work by having separately developed clones.

Michael Whapples