World writable speakup files in Linux next

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Mon Dec 13 16:23:25 EST 2010

Michael Whapples, le Mon 13 Dec 2010 21:13:11 +0000, a écrit :
> Here are some of my thoughts on this: As a user I don't want the process
> to change parameters for speech output to be long or complicated.

At worse, without consolekit support, you'd just need to prepend sudo to
your commands, so it'll never be longer or complicated...  And I again
repeat again once more: consolekit can handle it seamlessly.

> One
> way in which this is met while seemingly keeping things secure is the
> speakup keyboard commands (eg. capslock+1 or capslock+2 for volume). If
> I have understood this correctly these keyboard commands need me to be
> present in front of the computer. Could it be confirmed that these don't
> need the files to be world writable?

They don't need since they are handled in the kernel.

> So if the above is correct what might the consequence of making these
> files not world writable?

Without consolekit support, having to run speakupconf as root. With
consolekit support, nothing.  And we agree that we don't want to drop
world writability before consolekit/udev support.

> One thing which comes to mind is, how would
> this impact on the setting of parameters in scripts (eg. to get default
> parameters as I like when the system boots)?

System boot scripts are run as root, so they won't be broken.

> How would some of the proposed changes (eg. using consolekit) impact
> on the setting of parameters in scripts?

consolekit will let the user just run it as if we had world writability.

Samuel