World writable speakup files in Linux next

William Hubbs w.d.hubbs at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 17:28:34 EST 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 10:02:12PM +0000, Christopher Brannon wrote:
> Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> writes:
>
> > As I don't want to just blindly remove the world writable permissions on
>
> Hah, hah!  This is very punny, though I'm certain that you didn't intend
> to make a pun.  (Highlighting *blindly*).
>
> > all of these files, could someone go through and verify which ones
> > should and should not be world writable?
>
> Personally, I'd say ditch the world-readable bit.  We should deal with
> this in terms of groups.  The only user who should really be able to
> write to these files is the one sitting at the console.

Do we know for sure that udev can manipulate the group ownership of
files in the /sys hierarchy? I'll be the first to admit that I have only
briefly looked at udev, but I don't think we should remove the world
writable bit until we know for sure whether udev can do anything with
the /sys hierarchy.

Thanks,

William