Congratulations to speakup developers and arch architects

David Csercsics aarg at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 8 00:00:54 EST 2010

On 12/7/2010 8:14 PM, Steve Holmes wrote:
> explore around there a bit more and see if I can come up with some
> volume settings that might be more appropriate.  I realize all sound
> cards have different control names so it is probably amazing that we
> get successful sound out of them at all at startup like this.  Again,
> thanks Chris for the fine work.

Yeah thanks a lot for work like this. I need to see if this boots on the
netbook. I would think that setting all controls to -9dB should be
reasonable. Except for PCM which you probably want at 0dB that should
work ok. Alsa mixer has dbfs readings for all drivers it supports so
that should be easy enough to do. Pulseaudio does something similar. You
don't want to just crank everything to 95% because on older sound chips
that still might make something amplify above 0Dbfs on output which
might cause somebody's speakers or headphones to clip and somebody might
have ears in a bit of grief.