12/5/2010 build espeakup-amd64.iso results

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Tue Dec 7 01:19:45 EST 2010

I tried two installations with this system.  I have the console-based
installation working but didn't get the desktop one to work. Since I have
a printer and sometimes do data base work, I chose 1 3 7 10 for the
desktop additional software to be installed.  When the system rebooted, I
got prompted to log in so logged in as the user account and everything
went silent.  Attempting to log in as root invariably resulted in
authentication failure.  Could the screen-saver program be disabling orca
from talking after a successful login?  If so, what desktop keyboard
command can be used to tell the screen-saver to stop saving the screen at
least long enough for orca to speak? The desktop installation also threw
lots of exceptions spoken by the litetalk speech synthesizer on the way to
a boot up.  When I built the system as console-based using 3 7 10 on
software selection screen and omitting the 1 for desktop utilities, I
heard none of these exception messages being spoken.