Speakup on Debian "Lenny"

Øyvind Lode oyvind.lode at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 14:40:06 EDT 2010

Hi:

Kenny wrote:
> Hi.  I believe it is planned to have software speech available on the
Squeeze installer, but I haven't seen a recent update on the status.
> Since I have an Accent SA, I haven't payed close attention to the progress
on software speech in the installer.
> There is no problem using software speech after the install.  Just
aptitude -q install espeakup and make sure  speakup_soft is in /etc/modules.
This > will work on Lenny as well as Squeeze.
> Although I use software speech after boot, I still let the system start
out with the Accent SA so I can hear things like fsck.
> I switch to software speech first thing after login.

Ok, I got sighted assistance and I now have a Debian Lenny machine up and
running.
But we couldn't install "espeakup".
No such package...

I told him to install openssh-server and I am now logged in trying to figure
out to setup Speakup on a standard Debian stable (Lenny).
I have only installed the base system + openssh-server.

If I do a aptitude search speakup I get several speakup-modules* packages.

I think I have used Speakup with lenny before but can't remember how I did
it.
How can I get Speakup up and running on my newly install box?