debian testing no speech after new install

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Thu Aug 5 13:47:12 EDT 2010

Hi.  I believe it is planned to have software speech available on the Squeeze installer, but I
haven't seen a recent update on the status.
Since I have an Accent SA, I haven't payed close attention to the progress on software speech in the installer.
There is no problem using software speech after the install.  Just aptitude -q install espeakup and
make sure  speakup_soft is in /etc/modules.  This will work on Lenny as well as
Squeeze.
Although I use software speech after boot, I still let the system start out with the Accent SA so I can hear things like fsck.
I switch to software speech first thing after login.

          Kenny