rfc: speakup's character and punctuation processing

Bruce Noblick brunobrook at columbus.rr.com
Mon Apr 26 13:08:14 EDT 2010

Hello all,

Please pardon me while I think out loud and hopefully come up with something
coherent though I make no promises of that.

I can see advantages to keeping as much control of exception dictionaries
within speakup.  If the synth is shared among other applications, speakup
could be easily configured so that it would not be affected by other
program's settings and speech produced by other programs would not be
affected by its settings.

Synths will certainly come along with a long list of features that are
useful for direct programming but unless the definitions can't be fairly
standard, their usefulness can be limited.  In my opinion, a program like
speakup works best if it can use a short list of common features especially
where use of those features might affect other application's use of the
device or interface.

I also vote for keeping the distributed content of this exception dictionary
as small as possible, perhaps even having it empty and just providing a
simple mechanism for placing items in it.  This would eliminate the need to
maintain different exception dictionaries for a long list of hardware and
software synths.  The only case I can make for distributing content is if
there is a glaring flaw in a particular synth's text to speech algorithm.

In general, I don't like similar code being implemented in more than one
place but in this case and if it is done correctly, it may allow the choice
to be deferred to the user at run time which is a luxury I do like.

Thanks for allowing me to think out loud.  Now I will go back to what I do
best: talking to myself, grin.

Enjoy!
Bruce