Fwd: Re: rfc: speakup's character and punctuation processing

William Hubbs w.d.hubbs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 11:59:18 EDT 2010

Hi Kirk and all,

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 08:22:06AM -0400, Kirk Reiser wrote:
> Hey folks: I of course have an oppinion on all of this but am more
> interested in bringing a few issues up.  It is true that a lot of
> hardware synths provide exception handling rules for pronunciation but
> manipulating those rules is often not trivial.  The DoubleTalk family
> is an example.  You can have exceptions but you need to compile those
> exceptions extermally and then download them to the synth at start up.
> As far as I know there is no compiler available for the DoubleTalk
> family in gnu/linux.  Also, downloading firmware or exceptions adds
> another level of complication to synth initialization which can be
> frustrating as many DECTalk PC users can declare.  So, you will need
> to either make exception handling software available for all the
> hardware/software synths or leave folks basically in the same
> situation they are currently.  Even developing exception dictionaries
> for the various soft synths is not a trivial matter as anyone that has
> tried to make exceptions for espeak/espeakup will tell you.
> Fortunately, Jonathan has been very good at updating pronunciations
> when it's brought to his attention but what about the other soft
> synths like festival?  So although it may be theoretically more
> desirable to hand-off processing to the individual synths the
> implementation is a whole lot more involved than central processing
> one time at the speakup level for all synths even if each synth might
> need to be slightly different.

This is a good case for centralized exception processing.  I did not
know what was involved in programming exceptions for the synthesizers.

> As for levels of punctuation for console output versus reading mode it
> isn't really that confusing once you understand it and it was a
> feature request which was written because of users desires.  The code
> is already there so I don't quite understand the desire to remove the
> feature.  If there is confusion I believe it is a documentation lack
> and not a difficulty with the implementation.  I do aggree however
> that a direct synth mode should be available and I thought we had all
> decided that already.  If it hasn't exactly been implemented so far
> then it is more a problem of developers not following through than
> nondetermination to have the feature.  A toggle to turn processing on
> or off depending on users wish is a good idea but is not quite as easy
> to implement as one might think and that's why I suspect we're having
> this discussion.

The direct synth mode is a separate issue, and yes, it should be easy to
implement.  It isjust a matter of adding a few lines to each of the
drivers.  I personally have been working on some other projects, but I
can get to that soon.

Here is my personal point of confusion about how punctuation levels
operate.

Speakup has punctuation levels and so do synths.  The ltlk family for
example have 16 punctuation levels to speakup's 3.  Both levels can
be set.  I guess the punc_level sys file sets the speakup punctuation
level and the ltlk/punct sys file sets the ltlk punctuation level.
When do we use the synth punctuation level?  Which level is controlled
by the keyboard?

William