Punctuation for espeak synthesizer

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 10:22:56 EDT 2010

Grr... sorry for the incomplete message.  My touchpad is too sensitive.

Here's an example of the punctuation problem.  If a sentence has a
semicolon, it's nice to hear a pause.  Espeak inserts a natural pause
automatically, if punctuation level is stet to "none".  I prefer to
listen to text with speakup reading punctuation set to maximum, while
espeak's punctuation is set to none.  On the other hand, when moving
the cursor up and down lines, I prefer to hear the punctuation.
Unfortunately, ospeakup has already set espeak's punctuation level to
none, so I don't get to hear any punctuation, regardless of speakup
settings, unless I am moving the cursor one character at a time.

What I want to happen when using ospeakup is for SpeakKey+F9/F10 and
SpeakKey+F11/F12 to change espeak's punctuation level, rather than
speakup's levels.

Can this be done without editing speakup's source code?

Thanks,
Bill