Dectalk Express and HALD

Adam Myrow myrowa at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 20 19:06:44 EDT 2010

I have a few lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.local which switch between the "soft"
driver and Dectalk Express driver.  The switch back and forth will get the
Dectalk behaving again.  Note that /etc/rc.d/rc.local is a
Slackware-specific script, but other distros will have something similar.
Here is what I have.  After doing the switch back and forth, I execute
speakupconf to load my settings.

#configure Speakup
#First, work around the annoying Dectalk bug.
echo "soft" >/sys/accessibility/speakup/synth
echo "dectlk" >/sys/accessibility/speakup/synth
/usr/local/bin/speakupconf load