trouble installing linux

Arthur Pirika arfy at andrelouis.com
Thu Apr 8 23:41:39 EDT 2010

hi, I have a strange problem, and wondering if anyone here has any ideas. I
want to play with linux, but would like to try it in a vm under windows, to
try things out. I have two distros here, arch, and grml. I'm using windows
xp pro sp3, and vmWare player 3.01.

Arch loads perfectly fine, speakup comes up, but lately, arch is seeming to
have trouble retrieving packages. Protocol and/or timeout errors are the
norm here. Even selecting different mirrors doesn't help.
Grml just refuses to speak, but it does seem to load. as far as i know, I'm
giving the boot loader grml swspeakup as it's options. Maybe i need to try a
different vm?
btw, this is grml 2009.10.

tia,
Arthur.