about arch installer iso's

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 16:37:08 EDT 2010

Tony Seth wrote:
> Just one curiocity, why the two different iso's
> one with syslinux and one with grub?  Does that determine which boot
> loader gets installed?  I can understand the syslinux on the iso, but
> don't know why grub?  Thanks much... I went ahead and got all three
> iso's since I don't know which one I'll play with.

No, these are the bootloaders used to boot the ISO.  If the grub version
doesn't work for you, try the syslinux version.
Some BIOSes don't work well with CDs containing grub.
Anyway, the bootloader used on the image has nothing to do with the
bootloader that you will install to your hard disk.

This is all going to change with the next snapshot.  There will just be
one image per architecture, and that will use syslinux.
It's a hybrid image, so it can be used on either a CD or
a USB stick.

Have a great day,
-- Chris