USB synthesizers

acollins at icsmail.net acollins at icsmail.net
Sat Apr 3 17:26:45 EDT 2010

Hi William.  As you may be aware, you can buy generic usb to serial
converters, that could be used to attached any serial speech synthesizer to a
computer via a usb connection.  If I were writing a wish list, I could
wish that the drivers for serial synthesizers could be modified to check
for a usb serial port with a synth on it, and use that if found.  I've
been told that this is a lot of work, and I'm not a programmer, else I'd
volunteer to help.  But could you consider adding this to the Speakup
to do list?  In fact, I think the drivers, could be written to act much
like the softsynnth driver, since when you plug a generic usb serial
converter in, it gets assigned to /dev/ttyUSB and 1a number, starting at
0.  In this way, Speakup could simply use a generic usb to serial
connection as soon as the usb system becomes available  after boot up,
and any new drivers that needed to be written could be run in user
space.  It seems to me that they could be written to use the softsynthn
interface, but just written to output to a specifi synth on a specified
ttyUSB device.  Thanks for your consideration in advance.

Gene Collins