pasting sometimes causes a kernel panic

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sat Apr 3 04:05:17 EDT 2010

Derek Roberts  <speakup at braille.uwo.ca> wrote:
> For some reason, if I try pasting text into a console (this
>doesn't seem to have any effect if it goes in a screen, but maybe it's
>just random) it causes an instant kernel panic. I'm running kernel
>version 2.6.32-3-686 on a 32 bit machine and using software speech
>with espeakup.

Is there any helpful information in /var/log/kern.log or /var/log/messages
after the crash that would indicate what went wrong? Look for messages from
the kernel that provide a call trace or similar information.

Also, if you can arrange for someone to look at the screen after the crash,
there may be error messages there from the kernel that you need to capture. If
this is the case, then the only solutions I can suggest would be to capture
the output using a serial console or a network console - I'm sure both can be
discussed on the list if you need assistance setting up a means of obtaining
the details of the crash.

If the cause can be tracked down, I am confident it will be fixed.