How to use espeakup, revisited...

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 23 11:50:52 EDT 2009

From: "Gregory Nowak" <greg at romuald.net.eu.org>
To: "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux." >
> While I'll agree that it would be nice to see a list of changes posted
> here as they happen, I don't think this is strictly necessary, that's
> what the very well detailed changelog is for. Once you've checked
> speakup out from git, switch to the directory with the sources, and
> do:
> git log
> and you'll want to pipe that through your favorite pager of
> course. If you get speakup as a package from your distribution's
> repository, then there should be a changelog included with your
> package. To summarize, while it would be nice to see a list of changes
> posted here periodically, if it comes down to the development team
> spending time on duplicating already existing information, or instead
> spending that time on fixing bugs/implementing new features, I'd
> rather see the developers use that time to do the latter personally.

I don't know... I want to make it clear that I really appreciate what the
devlopers of speakup do. They are some of the smartest, most generous people
around. But if the goal is to help as many people as possible, then I think
they could make at least as great of an impact by improving communications
as by improving the code.

Well, I've started this organization called the International Association of
Visually Impaired Technologists. It seems to me that helping get information
about speakup out there would tie in nicely with that project. I guess I'll
get started.

PS: For info about the International Association of Visually Impaired
Technologists see www.iavit.org.