How to use espeakup, revisited...

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 22 11:01:14 EDT 2009

From: "Gaijin" <gaijin at clearwire.net>
> It's starting to look like a Douglas Adams novel here, with the
> Notice of Construction posted behind the boiler, in the 3rd basement
> over from the left, behind the door marked "Employees Only."  In other
> words, just as long as any useful information isn't posted "*here*."

People tend to react negatively when you criticize them while they're
already trying to do something to help you. My opinion is that you need to
learn the difference between offering suggestions and offering criticism.  A
suggestion implies that you're leaving it up to the recipient of your
suggestion to decide whether to take you up on your idea. Criticism has no
such implication.

A suggestion is something like, "Maybe it would be better if we did
something else." A criticism is something like, "You're doing that wrong."