How to use espeakup, revisited...

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Mon Sep 21 18:42:13 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 02:24:39PM -0700, Gaijin wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 12:36:13PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> > Why are you putting the rmmod line above into rc.local?
>
> 	Because I like starting the puter off with the hardware synth,
> then switch over when the system is ready to go.  That way I can tell
> what the heck is happening if something goes wrong with the
> conglomeration of other programs needed to have software voice
> synthesis.

Unless your system is really low on RAM, there's no need for you to
remove the speakup module for your hardware synth when you want to
switch to the speakup_soft module.

> Most of the code is
> still in alpha, so it seems pretty reasonable to keep a backup
> synthesizer available.>

Last time I checked, speakup was at version 3.13, and there was a
tarball of it on the linux-speakup.org ftp site. I wouldn't call it
alpha code anymore, unless you're referring to espeakup, which is a
different story, as even the man page states. That aside, yes, it is always good to have a
backup option, in any scenario (grin).

> 	What does it look like I'm doing?

Looks like you're complaining, to me at least.

> My name isn't on the package
> maintainer's list.

Why should it be? This isn't microjunk windows, where someone does all
the work, and documents everything for you, (never mind the
quality). It's a collaborative effort, where every kind of contribution
helps., whether or not your name is on the maintainers list.>

> I only managed it because I knew about rc.local and
> a little something about loading and unloading modules, which people new
> to linux wouldn't know, obviously.  Nor would they know to look in
> /lib/modules/{kernel-version}/extra/speakup for the synth module names,
> understand a little bash scripting, or which does what.

That's why there's a speakup user's guide. That's a much more
appropriate place to contribute documentation to, than the mailing
list. Yes, there are list archives, but how many posts do you see from
newbys stating that they've checked the archives, but didn't find an
answer to their question?

> And to top it
> off, it suggests right in the espeakup man page to mention it on the
> mailing list, so get off my back. <laughs>

Suggests to mention what? The only thing I see in the espeakup man
page is a suggestion that bugs in espeakup might be mentioned on the
mailing list. What you started this thread with is a complaint
regarding lack of documentation, not a bug in espeakup
itself. Finally, I never got on your back, I simply suggested
alternate action(s) that you could take, besides the one you've taken.

> 	I still haven't figured out why my puter stopped beeping at me
> when I press the wrong key, so it's evident that all the bugs in Squeeze
> haven't been worked out yet.

Squeeze is nowhere near release, so there's no reason to expect that
all the bugs in it would be worked out at this point in time. As for
your computer not beeping at you, try modprobing the pcspkr module.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org
skype: gregn1