Using cat and echo

al Sten-Clanton Albert.E.Sten_Clanton at verizon.net
Mon Sep 21 21:54:44 EDT 2009

Hello!

I use the TripleTalk LT, but via the serial port itself, not a USB port.
I've had many Linux troubles over the years, but generally the cat and echo
commands have given me the audio output they're supposed to give.

I thought that you had to have a real serial port to use this family of
speech synthesizer, as well as the DECTalk.  I take it I'm wrong.  What kind
of audio output do you get, everything you're supposed to except for the
commands you asked about, or something less?  Can you tell me where I can
find out how to get an adusb-to-serial adapter working with a speech output
device?  I ask because I'd like to buy a new computer, and I gather genuine
serial ports are harder to come by, or at least more costly, than they used
to be.

Thanks for whatever you can tell me.

Al Sten-Clanton