Having problems reading man pages...

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 17:12:24 EDT 2009

Steve Holmes wrote:
> Out of curiousity, what do these environment variables do?  on my Arch
> Linux system, LANG is set to en_US.UTF-8 but LC_MESSAGES is not set at
> all.  I'll have to observe next time I'm in a console if any thare are
> any issues with funny characters.

They control the character set that is used for displaying text.  As for
me, I use en_US, which is iso-8859-1.  In /etc/rc.conf, I have the following:
LOCALE="en_US"
If you want to do that, you may need to uncomment the en_US entry in
/etc/locale.gen and re-run locale-gen as root.

Happy hacking,
-- Chris