how to tell which synthesizer is active

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 8 14:26:23 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Hubbs" <w.d.hubbs at gmail.com>
> I might be able to set it to none if we time out, but the current design
> would mean that it would also be set to none if you hit print screen to
> turn off speakup, so I don't know if you want that either.
>
> What do you think?

Well, I'm not too sure if I am following you completely but I think the new
system allows you to get speech for logging in even if you forget to attach
your synth before booting. In the past, if you forgot to attach your synth
before you booted, you had to log in without speeach and start speech
manually.

I understand why John C. wants to be able to tell which synth module is
being used. If you could do that, then you could put the driver for the
hardware synth in the initrd but if it wasn't attached, you could load the
software speech module and use software speech. I used to have my laptop set
up to do that. All it did was grep the output from lsmod for the driver for
my hardware synth. If it didn't find it, it loaded the software speech
driver and started speech-dispatcher.

Maybe there's something in lsmod that actually indicates which driver is
active.