how to tell which synthesizer is active

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Sep 7 22:33:50 EDT 2009

Hi,

You could grep the output of dmesg.  Speakup always writes messages when
a synth has timed out.  Perhaps something like this would work:

dmesg | tail | grep -i deactivated

You could run a cron job every 30 minutes or so which could check and
switch to software speech.  By using tail, it only shows the most recent
messages so you shouldn't get old results once you've switched.  You
could also have your script check if software speech is already being
used and just abort if it is.