Vinux users have a problem with speakup possibly

Georgina Joyce r2gl at o2.co.uk
Sat Sep 5 05:50:39 EDT 2009

Hi All

A Vinux user seems to have a problem and wondered if any you guys have
any idea of whats going on?  Vinux is using a recent checkout of speakup
from git.

Hi Georgina, Speakup is not crashing whilst in use. It is very fast and
stable when in console mode. The problem seems to be that when you are
in a Gnome session for a long time when you try to switch to console
mode you can't unless you actually log out of the gnome session first.
However even though you can then get into console mode you can't then
get back to a GUI session either. The third symptom is that sometimes
when shutting down the computer dosesn't shut down but reports a
software bug, saying that speakup has failed to respond for 61 secs, and
this message just keeps looping every sixty seconds until you physically
turn off the machine. This is why I was asking about ways to kill
speakup. I will make sure that I get the exact message next time it
happens, but because I can't get into console mode I can't see what the
error message is, it is probably in a log file somewhere - any idea
where?