ot, wrn.org

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 01:02:23 EDT 2009

Gregory Nowak wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 09:50:49PM -0500, Chris Brannon wrote:
> > The "yp.shoutcast.org" link points to a playlist.  You can use it with
> > mplayer like so:
> > mplayer -playlist http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=964853
>
> Hmmm, that might be a crude, but workable way to download, by piping
> the output to an ogg/flac/whatever file. I'll have to investigate that
> as a temporary solution. Thanks for mentioning it.

There's a non-crude, or should I say "refined", solution to this problem.
It's called streamripper.
Unfortunately, Streamripper doesn't seem to understand playlist files.
You need to download the playlist beforehand.
Next, extract the URL for the actual MP3 stream from that playlist by hand.
Streamripper can also act as a relay server while it is ripping.  Tell
it to relay on a certain port, and point some audio player there.
As far as I can tell, the relay server only accepts one client at a time.

-- Chris