Wireless card suggestions

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 06:45:53 EDT 2009

Tony Baechler wrote:
> Question is:  do you have any idea if most usb wireless cards will
> work with linux/and/or windows, or is there some recommended wireless
> device such as pci card?

I think that most cards will work under Linux with ndiswrapper.
That said, there are Linux-friendly companies which make wireless cards,
and it is best to support them by voting with your wallet.
I have two cards based on chipsets from Ralink.
The first is a Ralink RT2500 PCI card.  The second is a D-Link DWU-1340
USB device.  The D-Link adapter uses the RT2573 chipset.  You need a
piece of firmware to make it work.  It is probably packaged for your
distro as something like rt73-firmware.
If not, you can find a copy on the net and put it in /lib/firmware.
Many of D-Link's other wireless devices are supported by the "madwifi"
wireless drivers.  So D-Link seems like a very safe bet.

HTH,
-- Chris