Wireless card suggestions

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Thu Oct 8 07:50:37 EDT 2009

I have used two wireless devices under linux, one is a usb device and the
other which I bought last week, is a dlink pci card.
Linux picked up the dlink card without any trouble and it seem to work
just fine.
These days the usb device I used before is also picked up by linux.
Yes you need to encrypt your wireless link because otherwize people can
clim onto your network and use your resources.  It happened to me so I
know.    Setting up your wireless link from the command-line does mean
editing config files, but it is not that difficult.  In graphycal mode,
there tools that does all of this for you.
The insecure protocol is called wep or something and the better one is
called wpa.
HTH, Willem