The vanishing PC speaker

Keith Hinton keithint1234 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 09:40:13 EST 2009

Hi all,
I recently got a brand-new PC.
On occasion, I have to test various Linux CDs on it.
This is a desktop box, from 2009, witha 2009 bios.
Uses an Asus motherboard.
The oddest issue is that I believed it had a PC speaker.
Apparently not, because when I would backspace with bash, or control U
a lot, no beep would be heard.
Also, the other reason I have titled my message as such is because
typing "beep" doesn't work either.
I have attempted things like: modprobe pcspkr, but no luck either.
If you have any other suggestions, let me know.
Thanks!
P.s.
Is there a way to get around the bep by causing some other tone to be
generated other than the sound card? And yes, I've looked, but unlike
laptops where some "PC speakers" are generated via the sound card,
that is not the case with this machine at all. There appears to be no
PC speaker anywhere. I was curious what you folks know about PC
speakers, are they disappearing from newer computers these days? In
particular I'm talking about computers intended to say run WIndows 7,
that type of thing.
I sometimes find myself using Windows for accessibility reaons, as QT
applications like Skype still do not yet work.
Linphone kind of worked while I was in Linux, but it kind of sucked as
well. Sounded 8K.
Any other good VOIP applications besides Linphone?
Thanks!
Regards, --Keith