Getting Speakup working on a server Linux OS

Garry Turkington garrys.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 15:59:43 EST 2009

Hi Kelly/Tyler,

Thanks for your responses.

I do know that espeakup obviates the need for speech-dispatcher and
speechd-up but since I want to try some commercial voices I'll have to
use those as well.

As Kelly suggested getting a vanilla Debian 5 install speech enabled
using the aforementioned Speakup/Espeak/Espeakup was almost
embarrassingly easy.  I've also found that the responsiveness I'm
getting in the install within a VM is vastly improved on anything I
ever saw before in a virtualized environment.  I know VMware
explicitly did work on Linux sound in Workstation 7 but I'm sure
congrats are owed to the Speakup folk too.  Nice one!

Now that I've got a snapshot of this setup I'm now going to play with
speech-dispatcher and speechd-up.  I see that there's a pre-rolled
speech-dispatcher package in the Debian repo but not speechd-up.  I
seem to recall mention of it though, is it in an additional repository
somewhere?  I've not used Debian in anger for... err... 12 years ack
so am somewhat out of touch on the repositories.

Cheers,
Garry