I have a question about dosemu and speakup

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Nov 11 04:40:38 EST 2009

This is a curses issue and happens with Qemu and other apps also.  You
could try setting up a window but I don't think that would help.  If
you're talking about text adventures, you're better to compile native
Linux interpreters anyway as they will run faster.  Otherwise, my
suggestion is to get a DOS screen reader.  It's a bit complicated to go
into here, but basically you have to route the emulated com1 to
/dev/ttyS0, run as root and give the -s switch to use all features.
Yes, it's a security risk.  Also, forget it if you don't have a hardware
synthesizer.  I tried using synth_direct but it didn't work.  I haven't
tried /dev/synth though, but I had to kill Speakup because of double
speech.  Also, you'll need to make sure that DOSemu gives the full
keyboard control to the DOS screen reader which it doesn't by default.
Again, the far better way is to run Linux binaries.  Debian has most
interpreters packaged already.