Solved: Problem with audio after reinstalling

Cheryl Ann Homiak cahomiak at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 12:37:54 EST 2009

Espeakup, mplayer, speakup, etc. are now playing nicely together. Here is
what had happened.

I have a Prism 2.5 wireless card in this Thinkpad T23. I hadn't been able
to get it to work before when I installed and had been using a pcmcia
wireless card. When I installed this time, the card sort of worked. The
interface would come up on wlan1 but I would get constant messages about
virtual device wifi0 asking to queue packets. Changing to wifi0 stopped
the card from working altogether. I had noticed during installation that
the card was listed as eth1 though I hadn't been able to get it to
configure to use during the installation.

I did an lsmod and found the
following modules that appeared to be ones that might be conflicting or at
least one of them might be causing a problem: orinoco, orinoco_pci,
hostap, hostap_pci. By process of elimination I found that my card worked
when I blacklisted all except orinoco_pci but that also stopped speakup
and espeakup from working when mplayer was running. I finally solved the
problem by playing with blacklisting some more. Now I have orinoco and
hostap_pci blacklisted. The strange thing about this is that orinoco and
orinoco_pci actually appear when I do lsmod now but when I blacklisted
hostap and hostap_pci I had problems. Blacklisting orinoco and hostap_pci
ends up with bost hostaps not loading but doesn't produce problem results.
The only kind of strange thing is that mplayer loads with oss instead of
alsa. I can force alsa with -ao alsa but then I seem to always get a
48000Hz sample rate where it varies with the default oss according to what is
being played or streamed. At any rate, at least I'm not having conflicts
between my audio playing and my screenreading.

--
Cheryl

"Let the words of my mouth,
and the meditation of my heart,