Another *possible* bug?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat May 30 07:16:54 EDT 2009

Hi Michael,

I think the bugs you found aren't really bugs in vim or Speakup, but
rather something related to Curses.  Samuel or another sighted person
can verify my guess, but I've noticed consistently that pressing the
space bar in Mutt is silent and I sometimes get similar behavior with
the backspace.  It is fine in Nano and most apps, but when entering an
address in Mutt or entering a message subject, the silent space bar
always happens.  I don't remember what program has the silent backspace
but I think that might be Mutt also.  I think Speakup is doing exactly
what it's supposed to do but for some reason, the characters don't
appear where it thinks the cursor is.

While we're on the subject, I know this isn't a Speakup bug but is also
related to Curses.  When I'm in Qemu, I have a very bad problem with the
same text being repeated endlessly until Speakup times out because the
synth can't keep up.  This is easily reproducable, just use something
like this:

qemu -kernel-qemu -curses -boot d -cdrom test.iso

In my case, I'm replacing test.iso with System Rescue CD 1.2.0.  It
reads all the boot messages several times over and over.  That also
happens in dosemu and FreeDOS.  It's better without the -kernel-qemu
switch but the emulation is slower.  I know it isn't related to Speakup
because the same thing happens in ssh under Cygwin.  Is there any way to
set Curses or Qemu to not refresh the screen as much?  If not, is there
a way I can set Speakup to only read the screen every few seconds?  I
fear this will only get worse with faster processors and better and
faster virtualization technology.