OT: Emacspeak and Fedora

Hermann meinelisten at onlinehome.de
Fri May 29 17:12:23 EDT 2009

Hi,
On 29.05.2009 22:58, al Sten-Clanton wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Has anybody been able to use Emacspeak with Fedora?  I tried and failed with
> several versions of Fedora (speakup-modified versions, except for 10).
>
> I have got it working with Debian and GRML.  In those instances, when I
> installed Emacspeak, I got a list of speech output choices.  I got software
> speech working:  I didn't like it much, but it did speak.

Can't tell anything about Fedora, but did you try Emacs with Speechd-el,
available on GRML?
It is based on Speech-Dispatcher and you can use a lot of synths, among
them one you perhaps like better.
GRMl for example comes with Espeak, which is pretty usable.
I don't know whether this packages are available in Fedora.
You would need Speech-dispatcher, Speechd-el and Espeak.
Speechd-el uses a similar scheme of commands as Emacspeak.
Hermann