torrent client suggestions

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Wed May 20 16:16:22 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 03:45:41AM -0700, Tony Baechler wrote:
> What about the standard clients?  BitTorrent, BitTornado and CTorrent
> come to mind.

According to <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_torrent_clients>:
bittorrent 5, which wikipedia calls mainline, supports trackerless,
but doesn't support ipv6. Wikipedia also mentions a bittorrent6, which
supports both. Debian's version of bittorrent seems to be at
3.4.2. Bittornado supports ipv6, but doesn't support
trackerless. Ctorrent doesn't support ipv6, and the wikipedia page
lists a question mark under trackerless support. Before I wrote here, I
compared wikipedia's list against apt-cache search torrent in
debian. Since going through all of wikipedia's list would take a good
while, I thought I'd ask here instead, and see if someone was already
using something which he/she could recommend. Bittorrent6 looks like
the best out of that above list you gave, I'll see if I can get a hold
of it, or rather, where I could get a hold of it from.

> I think any recent client should
> support trackerless torrents.

Yes, but there don't seem to be many that support both trackerless,
and ipv6 strangely enough.

> In Debian, look for py-bittorrent and
> py-bittornado if the standard package names don't show anything.

Well, like I said, debian's bittorrent seems to be old, and bittornado
doesn't do trackerless, which I can actually confirm, since I did
install that before going to wikipedia, and saw no reference in the
docs for it to trackerless, nor in the docs for the program used to
generate torrents. If bittornado supported trackerless, that fact
surely would have been mentioned in the docs for the torrent file generator.

> If Debian doesn't have anything, look at
> the Gentoo ftp archive.  They seem to have older and different packages,
> not always present in Debian.

Thanks, I'll take a look there if I can't find this bittorrent6.

> Also, how did you actually set up a user-mode-linux VM?  I looked at the
> user-mode-linux package and it looks like it's just the kernel with no
> obvious way to set up a shell or run processes under it.  I would like a
> virtual server without the hassle and resource overhead of a VM such as
> Xen.  I'm still interested in xen but it looks fairly complicated to set
> up.  All I really need is a virtual Linux server for web and email, not
> a full virtual machine.

Well, uml does essentially give you a virtual machine of sorts. As for
how I set it up, in debian, grab the rootstrap package. I first setup
a uml under slackware some 7 years ago, and don't remember exactly how
I did it, but I do remember that after a lot of frustration, I did
somehow manage to make it install from the isos. Again, this was long
ago, and I don't remember how I did it, just that I finally got it
somehow installed off slackware media after a lot of playing
around. Another option is to simply install a distro of your choice in
a fully emulated vm, and umlify it by replacing the kernel/modules,
and edit files in /etc, like fstab for example. Another option is to
of course get the ready to go file systems from
user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net, but I personally like to roll my own,
so never tried those. HTH, and thanks for your torrent suggestions.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org
skype: gregn1