time-sensitive screen clearing

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Mar 28 21:02:23 EDT 2009

Speakup with debian sid with all updates applied as of March 28, 2009 on
this system is allowing files to open and for a short time displaying
their contents then clearing the screen so it's like the file you're
reading appears blank.  Hopefully nobody else is experiencing this
behavior.  I first ran into this while debugging an iching hexagram
generator I was writing with vbnc.  I ended up deleting the source file
since I have a copy of an earlier source and executable this did not pose
any problems.  I was doing a search and destroy mission on characters
outside the printable character set in ascii and right after I searched
for \f and told ex to remove those this behavior started.  A system reboot
did nothing to clear it either.