Espeakup

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Fri Mar 27 19:46:54 EDT 2009

Well, since I couldn't resolve the issues with using my doubletalk lt at
boot for the time being, I decided to try espeakup. This was so easy!!!
All I did was install espeakup, add speakup_soft start=1 to /etc/modules
and reboot. Very nice!!! I'm also using espeak with orca and so far I'm
extremely happy with it. In fact, when I logged in to gnome and orca
started automatically and speech began, speakup, which was still reading
some of the boot information, didn't even miss a beat and it stopped
reading bootup information and began reading what I was typing immediately
when I switched to a text console and started typing. It also doesn't show
any kind of conflicts so far when using it along with brltty. It's true
that it doesn't start speaking as early as would a hardware synth working
from the kernel or initrd but it is working very impressively so far for
me!!!

--
Cheryl