Speakup at boot

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Fri Mar 27 10:55:52 EDT 2009

Well, I got it to work but still have problems.

The reason speakup wasn't loading was that the initramfs -u was only
updating the 2.6.26-686 initrd image and not the current 2.6.26-1-686
initrd image. I had to specifically specify this with the -k option.

What now happens is that my doubletalk does indeed start up very early but
then quits and won't be restarted with insert+enter on the numeric keypad
or the pause key (key to left of scroll lock). I tried using the pause
key to kill speakup early on; I can use it to kill and bring speakup
alive just fine over and over throughout the boot but it quits talking
permanently, unless I'm missing a method, at about the time the gdm starts
and my tty1 automatically logs in on the console. After that, nothing I
press brings speakup back to talking. Since I still have brltty talking, I
do ctrl-alt-f1 to get back from the gui to my autologged-in console but I
am still unable to get speakup to begin talking again.

--
Cheryl