speakup using different synths with software speech?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Jun 5 07:22:46 EDT 2009

All,

There still seems to be misunderstandings on what I'm trying to say.
Again, I really don't mind paying a reasonable amount for software
speech, assuming I can afford it.  The problem is that I've never yet
heard software speech that I liked.  The other problem is that I don't
like using non-free software but I don't think I could get used to
ESpeak.  My favorite voice is the hardware DEC-talk Express.  I can use
it to read books, email, work on my other Linux boxes, etc.  I can
listen to it for hours without growing tired of it.  It has a very fast
speech rate while still being understandable.  It doesn't have a muffle
like most software synths, specifically the software DEC-talk.  It can
easily be customized to have the exact pitch and inflection I want.
When I bought it, it was around $1200 US and is still worth it, even
though the price dropped since then.  I understand that the USB version
isn't as flexible.  I've tried many different sets of speakrs for
software speech, but all either have too much bass, a muffle or static.
Probably the best for reading was Realspeak but it was very, very slow.
I've even tried software speech on a high-end stereo system.  That did
help, but it still wasn't as good as my old DEC-talk Express.  I guess
my next favorite would be the Trippletalk, but it mispronounces things
and has other problems, like stuttering and a fairly small text buffer.
One really great thing about the DEC Express is that if I'm reading and
the power goes out, it stores at least two screens of text in its
buffer, so it will keep reading for a few minutes.

As I said, I'll look at Voxin.  Perhaps it's not as bad as I think.  I
know speakers do have a lot to do with it and it's partially what I'm
used to, but what I really want is to just use my hardware
synthesizers.  Software speech is enough of an issue for me that I have
put off really exploring Orca.

Also, one thing not mentioned here is my other reason for not leaving
Windows.  That is a lack of GUI audio software.  I'm surprised that no
one else has pointed this out, but a really big problem with software
speech and audio production is that you don't want speech in your
recordings.  Even if you have multiple sound cards or a good
multichannel card, a good microphone will still pick up software speech,
I know from experience.  Even if you use headsets, it's still very
inconvenient when you're doing restoration and editing to hear speech in
your ears at the same time as the sound you're concentrating on.  I work
with old time radio shows which have many pops and clicks.  It's hard to
hear the disc noise with speech chattering away in my ears.  On the
other hand, with hardware speech I can't hear it at all with a headset
on, but at least I don't have to repeat the same half second of sound
multiple times because the speech wouldn't shut up.  That's the problem
I'm having now on a Windows machine with only software speech.  I'm sure
there's an easy solution, but the volume of all software synths seems to
dominate all other sound, even if the volume is lowered.